// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Hear,Hear: The Paul Buckley Interview

Published in two installments, Hear,Hear chats with Paul Buckley, a veteran art director of one of the largest book publishers in the world, The Penguin Group.

My official title is Vice President Executive Art Director, which should give you a clue that I’ve been here at Penguin Group awhile. They treat me pretty good, so I’ve stuck around. Basically, I wear two hats – I manage a large staff of very talented designers and art directors, and look over their shoulders when necessary and stay out of their way when necessary. While running my department, I try to be a Designer as well, working on my own covers and fulfilling my own artistic needs. The imprints within my department are all trade – Penguin / Viking / Penguin Press / Portfolio / Sentinel; so there is a really nice mix and always interesting projects to sink ones teeth into. —Paul Buckley

Here's a nice Flickr set of a visit to his studio.

( via Hear,Hear )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts