// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Publishing: So What’s Next?




“Unquestionably hip and metropolitan... overnight, the company has transformed itself from an interesting start-up to a serious player and one that understands the rules of the game.”
I’m personally very intrigued by the digital on-demand printing model. As such, I’ve embarked on an experiment of publishing one of my previous design efforts into a variety of digital on-demand formats (and price points). I’m doing so in order to begin understanding this phenomenon first hand, from the user side, so I can learn and experience the nuances, vernacular and experience the end product. Upon completion, I intend to share what I’ve learned with colleagues in a larger, more comprehensive and ongoing conversation.

In the process of all this, I’ve identified a publisher who I have my eye on. They’re called “The Friday Project.” They’re not an on-demand model, but a completely new breed of publishing house, dedicated to combining everything that’s great about traditional book publishing with the limitless possibilities offered by the Internet and emerging technologies.


Though I can’t speak specifically to their business model and/or profitability, I do generally admire them for the uniqueness of their effort(s), and the foresight and fitness that must be required of such a venture. I will post more about digital on-demand printing in the future.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo--can't wait to hear about your discoveries. I've been interested in this avenue of printing/publishing, too.

3:56 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Excellent. I'll be sure to include you on my findings!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts