// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Monday, March 31, 2008

REPOST: How To Be Interesting

REPOST: I posted this in November 2006. I came across it and thought I would share it again. Some people have appreciated these reposts. Others perhaps not. But as I said when I began BarryBlog, this is a place to help me remember things I find of interest. And since I forgot this, I imagine you may have too. The reality is you've probably never seen it, as in November 2006 I had my dad, and two other people stopping by.

So here goes, again:

- - - - - - -

As I ponder my career to date, the people who’ve impressed me the most are also those who I found to be the most interesting. So is there any formula for being interesting? Probably not. However in this article by Russell Davies, there are a few things which might help.

Be interested • Interesting people are good at sharing • Take at least one picture everyday. Post it to flickr • Start a blog. Write at least one sentence every week • Keep a scrapbook • Every week, read a magazine you’ve never read before • Once a month interview someone for 20 minutes, work out how to make them interesting. Podcast it. • Collect something • Once a week sit in a coffee-shop or cafe for an hour and listen to other people’s conversations. Take notes. Blog about it. (Carefully) • Every month write 50 words about one piece of visual art, one piece of writing, one piece of music and one piece of film or TV. Do other art forms if you can. Blog about it • Make something • Read.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. B — This is right up your alley. It's what you aspire to do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, and now that you've got your blog up and running, you're doing it. The fire is back, baby!

8:53 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Thanks D. I especially aspire to the "interesting people are good at sharing" mantra. Kinda like Thomas Jefferson's quote..."He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine receives light without darkening me." I might add... "He who lights his taper at mine makes the room brighter!"

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts