// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Nike+ and the Holidays


Okay, it’s official. The holiday treats in my office started rolling in. For reference, this represents fine Belgium chocolates (Linda!), hot apple cider (Doug!), and a plethora of other delicious and not-so-nutritious goodies. So, as I ponder my strategy for jacking up the discipline a notch, I spent some time on the Nike+ site to see what all this health crap is all about. With 20 pounds to negotiate, I’m thinking this might be an option. My current running shoes are not that used, but the years they’ve been on ice makes them look and feel a bit crusty. And since the Nike+ site opened my eyes to current styles (and prices...Yikes), I'm afraid running in my Nike Max shoes may be the equivalent of playing tennis with a woody Jack Kramer.

So as for this Nike+ thing—for it to work, you must own a iPod Nano, a $100 Nike+ shoe, a transmitter card to fit in your shoe, and then of course iTunes to monitor your progress. The Nike+ site has a great video explaning this all in the "Support" area. Since the site is all flash, I have no way of posting specific links. So have at it.

4 Comments:

Blogger stephanie said...

isn't it interesting how they are not marketing a shoe but a new identity?

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'll be getting a nike + kit for Christmas too. The good news is that you don't need the special shoes--just attach this thing to whatever running shoes you want and you're set: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ID6DTG/ref=wl_it_dp/104-8223628-5539932 . But you still have to buy the nano if you don't already have one.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! Such a fun post, but...um...what's wrong with using a woody Jack Kramer? (My grandmother made me switch -- can you believe it? She was more hip than me! And, a great player, too!)

1:52 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

I'm not much of a golfer, but in the rare event anyone asks me to play, I LOVE to show up with a garage sale mix of clubs...aka the Jack Kramer effect. If I beat them, it's just that much more humiliating.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts