// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Monday, December 04, 2006

Space Food Sticks: You're Alive!

This no doubt gives hint to my age, but no less than a half dozen times in the last couple years the subject of "Johnson Space Food Sticks" has come up in conversation—by me, that is. Seems no one remembers these delicious morsels of goodness. So much so that I was beginning to wonder if they were just a self fabricated memory. But I do understand why I've received so many blank stares when I consider a majority of my colleagues were born after 1973—the year Space Food Sticks were introduced.

Space Food Sticks (later called "Food Sticks" after the energy crisis of the mid-1970s when the space program took a back seat politically) were REALLY popular with my schoolmates, and it always seemed like we were as cool as the astronauts when we peeled back the thin wax foil and bit into "a piece of the future." For reference, the term "energy snack" was not yet invented. Anyway, you'll notice I refer to them as "Johnson" Space Food Sticks. I do believe they were cobranded with Johnson Space Center (NASA), but nothing I have found online indicates this.


And if reconnecting with this cool product from the past isn't already enough...get this: they are now available online!! So without further ado, like a lost friend from 30 years past, I bring you...Space Food Sticks!




( special thanks to Eric Lefcowitz at RetroFuture )

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You done it! You've identified a favorite food I've been trying to tell my husband about for years! I couldn't remember what they were called, but I loved them (chocolate, of course, heh-heh). This just cracks me up! Thanks for the smile, Barry! (PS: I'm a 1967 baby and we were nuts for all things space related.)

1:19 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

As far as I was concerned, there WAS no other flavor than chocolate! It's so great this strikes a chord with you too. I have been struggling to tie this loose end up. When you go to the site, you can see the memory page, and how many people share our memory of this great product. Perhaps this was one of the first LoveBrands (aka Kevin Roberts).

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barry, you have NO idea how wonderful this information is!!! I have been engaged in debate over the last 5 years, on and off, with a colleague who doubts my sanity when I mention that I used to eat Space Food Sticks. He, nearly "our" age, has no memory of them and therefore has concluded that I am deluded!

Thanks for verifying their existance. And excuse me now while I go and send him a link to this page of your blog!

Love you,
Your sis

8:26 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

I honstyly thought it was just me. Make sure to check out the "memories" page at http://www.spacefoodsticks.com/spacefood/memories.cfm

I want Space Food Sticks for Christmas.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that spacefood sticks truly may be a "smith thing."

From Stacy's skeptic friend...

1:50 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Interesting...I thought it was more Johnson than Smith. (Get it).

I crack myself up sometimes.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts