// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Humanity and Truth: A Closer Look

Generally Speaking, Public Broadcasting (PBS) approaches matters from a perspective rather left of my own. Though I don't always see eye to eye with their conclusions and bends, a program I have found particularly valuable and interesting is called Closer To Truth. PBS describes it as "an inside opportunity to witness how today's pioneers in humanity's quest for greater understanding chart their expedition into the unknown- journeys that are marked by a rigorous pursuit of truth, a readiness to challenge current belief, a willingness to overturn dogma, an open-minded exploration of inferences and implications, and a tough-minded reliance on critical thinking." (And a penchant for wordiness, apparently).

Many episodes consider highly specialized subjects and are at times over my head, but one episode I especially enjoyed is entitled "Can Religion Withstand Technology?" These episodes include the likes of Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz); author Michael Crichton; Skeptic Dr. Michael Shermer and many many more interesting people. Again, this may not be your bag. But if you're into hearing deep discussions on topics such as Brain & Mind, Biology & Medicine, Cosmos & Universe, and Science & Our World, you will thank me.

If you would prefer to look at
"humanity's quest for greater understanding" and "rigorous pursuit of truth" from a different perspective, here are a couple people's take on what, after all is said and done, is really Good News on all matters of truth.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Barry! Both of these posts have piqued my interest (I don't get the Research Channel, but Edward de Bono is someone I will definitely learn more about. Also, Closer to Truth sounds like it's right up my ally)! Great timing, too (lately, I seem to be thinking about these subjects A LOT).

5:30 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:15 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

I'm glad this struck a chord. I have found it to be a very cool site as well. As for being right up your alley, know that that's not pure chance.

8:19 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts