// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Meetings 101


There's a plethora of resources, classes, blogs – an entire industry around the subject of making meetings valuable. So why post on the subject? Well, I recently came across two that caught my attention on the Signals vs. Noise blog. One by David about how they may be harmful, and another by Ryan who shows 4 steps to make them more useful. Leave a comment with other posts you have about meetings, or anything else related if you have anything.

( via the smart folks at 37signals blog Signals vs. Noise )

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

While a large percentage of meetings may be an inefficient use of time, per signal vs. noise, the minority of very productive meetings may justify the lot of them.

In a business, by far the most value an employee can add to a company is through new ideas. Busy work adds very little value. Some meetings just have the synergy to spark some big, good ideas that wouldn't have come up otherwise.

So even if I weren't required to attend meetings, this is why I wouldn't give up on them.

8:54 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Well said. Though I posted these articles, I believe meetings aren't evil. I look forard to meetings with certain people, as some people are great in meetings. Overall I thought this was a worthwhile post none the less. Thanks for your perspective!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts