// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth: A $1,359 Electric Bill

Started to watch An Inconvenient Truth the other day— and as suspected, I fell asleep a third way in. Don't get me wrong, the warming of the orb does grab my attention, but not nearly as much as this did:

Past Vice President Gore's 20 room (8-bath) mansion in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).
The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, and in 2006 alone, Gore devoured roughly 221,000 kWh--more than 20 times the national average. His average monthly electric bill topped $1,359, and his natural gas bill averaged $1,080 per month last year. In fact, since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore's energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Read the rest of this at the brilliant NussbaumOnDesign blog on the Bizweek network.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barry,
Very... Interesting.
great post.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barry

I got permission today to share the writer's bible with you, can you drop me an email (on the top left on my blog) - I couldn't find yours here.

Cheers
Helen

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts