// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Friday, February 02, 2007

Innovation and Strategy - Who Manages Manufacturing?

REPOST: I wrote this article a while back, I still find it interesting so I'm reposting it. Sue me.

Through 18 years of professional design experience and from cumulative observation, I’ve discovered a key to finding success in design innovation often lies in looking at and engaging in less-mined and less typical resources. Some of the best brainstorming meetings I’ve been responsible for or party to have included
unusual subjects. Such as a warehouse worker. A project manager. Someone in editorial. Anyone less exposed to the day to day creative process.

There are many reasons for this. More than I can discuss here (more than you would be interested in reading about), but most importantly more reasons than I am
smart enough to understand. But what I do understand is that design innovation is not particularly formulamatic like some engineering tasks and related design sciences.

Anyway...
...so when I came across this article on the subject of Manufacturing teams, and how some farsighted companies are beginning to understand the value of giving manufacturing teams greater visibility and respect in strategic leadership, I took notice. Told using the analogy of manufacturing as the engine in a ship, this article gives weight to how critical manufacturing is to the success (or failure) of adopting a successful design innovation engine.

( via strategy+business - Illustration by Leigh Wells)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is nice article the business brainstorming is useful to people about the business ideas. An excellent tool for facilitating brainstorming sessions within the team. Who are interesting about the more information visit about this site business brainstorming

12:31 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Wow. I could use that idea generating software, then to make my ideas come out even faster I'll fire up my handy companion..."Design Doubler."

Thanks for stopping by.

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts