// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Book Design: Frances Baca Design LIVE!

Frances Baca caught my eye months ago and she and I bounced emails back and forth. Basically I admired her work when I first discovered it on her Flickr set. She was busy working at that time, with the goal of having her personal website go live. Well, she emailed me today and she's officially up and running. I hope to see more of her work in the future (please, pretty please), but for now here's a look at her work. From my perspective Frances' work could be best described with words such as just right, just enough, not too much, conceptual and communicative, and inspiring. She is definitely gifted, and I believe you'll enjoy seeing her work for yourself. Let her know what you think by leaving a comment and/or emailing her here.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful stuff. It is rare to find book designers who are able to design cleanly and at the same time keep their work from looking too sterile.

9:42 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Chris, well said. In looking at her work more today, it dawned on me that she uses imagery which has a human element to it. Those rough scribbles on the Clement Greenberg cover suggest a person without showing one; the objects such as the mask, hat, horseshoe, butterfly, etc., they all point to people by nature of the placement and what's eluded to. All told, she sets it up in a way that "takes you somewhere" as such. Whatever it is her work seems like she knows exactly when to stop. I hope she continues to share her work with us like you do. That's really fun, right?!

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts