// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Psalms: On Single-Mindedness

Lord of reality
make me real
not plastic
synthetic
pretend phony
an actor playing out his part
hypocrite.
I don’t want
to keep a prayer list
but to pray
nor agonize to find Your will
but to obey
what I already know
to argue
theories of inspiration
but submit to Your Word.
I don’t want
to explain the difference
between eros and philos
and agape
but to love.
I don’t want
to sing as if I mean it
I want to mean it.
I don’t want
to tell it like it is
but to be it
like You want it.

( via Psalms of My Life - Joseph Bayly - Tyndale Treasures , copyright 1969 )

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Jones said...

I LOVE THIS.

9:57 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Me too. There are other great ones in these old Tyndale Treasures I found. Hope to rethink these for a new generation of readers. Like you and I. Hey Jess, thanks for taking time to comment.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is GREAT! Put so well!

9:59 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Doesn't it seem like it could have been written today? Still seems fresh/current.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does.

The language is amazing, for starters. Next, it is so timely for me personally. Lately, I've been feeling this way and thinking similar thoughts. However, the author has captured the notion with greater clarity. Best of all, is the sense of connection the words promote. Makes me feel like I'm truly hearing what I'm supposed to hear (if you know what I mean).

Which, by-the-way, makes me so grateful for having bumped into you in this great big blogosphere! You have a way of sharing just the right thing at just the right time...be it something great about design or something even bigger! Thanks Barry!

11:49 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

I'm grateful this had meaning to you just now. Your acknowledgment of a need to hear this is worship. You have given me the utmost of encouragement and I thank you. Also thanks for your often taking time to comment. It encourages me.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Joseph Sapulich said...

Amen!

11:37 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Now you and he are no Normal Joes! Thanks for taking time to comments. I have found other works by Joseph Bayly since this post. One from a freelance job Tim did with him. It's a book called Heaven, and explains what Heaven is like to those who are sick, in the hospital, etc. You might enjoy it for your ministry. Again, thanks for stopping by brother.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Thanks for blogging this psalm. I've copied it for myself, now and sent it to some loved ones who will value it, too. Now, I'll have to buy some of the books by Joseph Bayly. - Debi

8:50 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

let me know if you have trouble finding any of his works. He WAS a Wheaton IL Resident. Thanks for stopping by. Also for commenting. How did you find BarryBlog?

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts