// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Friday, July 13, 2007

Storytelling: The Anecdote

The anecdote, a sequence of actions, a story in its purest form, one thing following from another.
A great lesson from a great storyteller– Chicago Public Radio's Ira Glass, producer and host of This Amercian Life. I really loved this lesson on storytelling and learned from it. On a similar note, I had the chance to discuss design today with an eager and smart young designer-to-be and we discussed, in part, the role of design as an over arching concept. We discussed how motion, print and interactive all share one thing, and that's the power to communicate and pursuade. I should have added storytelling to the definition I shared with her, as Ira Glass sheds yet another perspective on how communication design crosses many disciplines.

Check out part two, three and four of storytelling. He talks more on pitfalls, voice and gives more great advice on being a creative and being effective. This is valuable stuff.

( via presentationzen )

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. What a great find, Barry! Great advice (and insights). Had to watch them all!

4:20 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

I've only watched 1 and 2 thus far. Admittedly I don't always share his views, but he is a master story teller and I'm appreciative he was willing to take the time and share his knowledge with others.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts