// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Friday, August 31, 2007

Studio Gearbox: Always on Their Game?!

Complete props to the boys in Sisters – Studio Gearbox. Book Design. Identities. Primo work. I'm taking a wild guess, but I'm thinking these gents may be Uttley Grads, as their work is most certainly up to snuff with their fellow Sisters (Oregon, that is). All told this firm is a big talent, and though you don't need me to tell you this (because they've already said it themselves on their bios), they are always on their game. Their superior thinking and design execution well eclipses the junior copywriting on their site. In my unsolicited opinion, and since this is called BarryBlog, words like "zing" and "with it" just don't communicate with the same freshness and relevancy that their work does. Regardless of my thoughts on this, hats off Studio Gearbox.

( via book art director Beth Sparkman )

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both Chris and David are top notch designers. I highly respect their work.

10:56 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

No doubt.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of visual goodness for sure!

11:19 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Liz - Bet you'd also like DesignWorks Group site too at http://www.thedesignworksgroup.com/

Thanks for stopping by!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo! I do! I'm starting to wonder if I'm addicted to cover art. (Oh well, there are worse things to have as a habit.)

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Barry,

Thanks for your props regarding our firm. Yeah, maybe we need to freshen up our bio copy. It was written in tongue and cheek, but I wonder how that is really coming across.

Many of us have worked together in the past, so that's probably where you see the connect between firms.

Thanks again for your kind remarks!

Best,

Chris

12:51 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Chris

Know that the emphasis of my post was to point out how extremely inspiring and effective your work is. Your site design is also cool. I only point out the copy because I think you might benefit from words that speak, and specifically to your audience. Currently it comes across a bit "you focused." To me how you communicate with words is equally important as any visual take away.

All told I am an admirer of your firm's thinking and design.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts