// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Monday, September 03, 2007

brandnavigation: Transcending Ordinary

brandnavigation is on the short list of companies that caught my attention after moving from Michigan to Illinois to begin serving in the role of art director for a christian publisher. At the time, the company was called The Design Office of Bill Chiaravalle. A name I was glad to see changed.

As a new believer, and as an art director for a publisher for the first time in 14 years, Chiaravalle's work kept capturing my attention, one book at at time. Well it's been about 6 years and I just re-visitied the brandnavigation site, and it reminded me what I found so compelling. At the end of the day, good work is good work. But superior work stands out. Chiaravalle's crew transcends the ordinary and strikes a chord. Attention to detail at their fabric and remarkable design thinking from front to end are only part of the intrigue. A balance of boldness with finesse, and a focus on effective communication is what I've found so compelling.


Another impressive thing about brandnavigation is the breadth of work. Simply put, they've been at it for a long time. Like myself, 20+ years in the trenches. Some weeding of the portfolio might benefit the company as a whole, but admittedly it all stands up well in the test of time for sure. Hats off to brandnavigation. They've somehow managed to grow and maintain at a high level in a business that's all about being relevant.

I suspect you might also enjoy their portfolio, and if you're particularly interested in identity, as am I, check out their case study section. You'll have to discover these directly on the site, because unfortunately I cannot provide you a link to their portfolio or case studies because they've built their entire site in flash.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts