// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Calvin Nowell. Start Somewhere.




As many of you know, Sunday is off limits to me in terms of blogging. But I find it fitting to break this tradition if for only this reason. The reason is Calvin Nowell, and as you'll see from his story, this is a most worthy reason.

I had the distinct privilege, and I mean privilege, to meet Calvin personally several weeks ago. We have spoken several times since, and in one conversation he asked me if he could pray for me and my wife. I will never forget that generosity. It meant a great deal to me, and it came so absolutely out of the blue.

He speaks to people through his weight loss experience, having lost over 200 pounds, but that just scratches the surface. Calvin's life is Holy Spirit lead–something he is very aware of. Calvin shares that he lost weight from the inside out. He shared that when he was wearing a 60 inch waist pant, people could easily see he was carrying around a lot of weight. But his real message lies deeper in the realization that you too are carrying around as much weight as he, but no one can see it. Think about that. Your weight. The weight of sin. No one around you can see it, but God, and He wants you to realize the freedom in His name so you can free yourself from that bondage. Through faith and discipline Calvin found out how. And he is a changed person.

I suspect if I had met Calvin before his weight loss, I would have been drawn to him just the same. His music will draw you in too. He is a master song writer in the same league as Fred, Kirk, Marcus Cole and other brothers anointed with the gift of song. I would ask that you check out the videos for yourself. See the work being done in his life, and pray for Calvin as he continues in his ministry, in his traveling and in his every day walk, that he meets great people, and that God gets all the glory.

As Calvin himself says...

"Start with what's necessary. Then what's possible. And suddenly you're doing the impossible."
I find meeting Calvin as a high point in my life. His CD is the best CD I've heard in years. If you are looking for a gift giving and life giving opportunity this holiday season, buy Calvin's CD "Start Somewhere."

Check out the video from Start Something, for the song "Mercy's On It's Way."




Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Great message!

Also, I know what you mean by how much it means to have others pray for you. It is awesome, touching, and so amazing. Even when someone isn't sure how to ask for help, others often are. And, He listens and helps. Through it, you (in this case me) just might learn to have the courage to ask again in the future. It's amazing the kind of courage it can take to ask for help. He (God) is so amazing.

Love that Calvin is so aware and so happy to lead everyone to Him. It's refreshing, humble, and cool!

11:07 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Liz

You are a light. Thanks for your meaningful comments.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts