// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Charles Eames: Time Life Chair Yumminess

So I'm finally posting on my newest and most cherished Mid-Century Modern artifact...and collector deal of a lifetime– my Herman Miller Aluminum Group Executive Management Work Chair, or Time Life Chair. Perfectly orange (for my friend Jess) and super soft, super plush high quality leather...the Bentley of the chair world. And the most luxurious chair I have ever sat in. So here it is, along with a few odd ball office shots for context. Let me know if you want one. I have 6 more (albeit not in as pristine condition). I bought them to sell, so let me know if you too would like one. Following is some additional info for anyone intreged and interested in learning more. A NY Times article called Seats of Power. A distant cousin. A recent eBay listing. Another. And another. A recent sale. Architonic coverage. A current listing at $3,300.00. Yet another. Herman Miller's page. Learn more about the chairs history, and download the original Charles Eames designed leaflet from 1960 announcing the chair in PDF form here. See what midcenturymodernist has to say about this.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Stewf said...

Wonderful shots. Thank you for inspiring me to post an entry of my own.


Not publicly listing a price range for your chairs, I suppose?

12:45 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Thanks Stewf for taking time to comment, and for the premium linkage. I will be taking photos this weekend. I'll determine a price since these have been in a warehouse for a bit. I'll be in touch.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barry! It's fun to look around your office...you have a great collection!

10:43 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

The result of 25 years of garage sales!

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hotness....that is a sweet office ride.

3:22 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

J – You know how I roll.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Jessica Jones said...

Okay, here's the promised post! Wow, so awesome. It's the centerpiece of your whole office. Every time you walk in there, do you immediately start beaming? I would. I also love that bumpy ceramic thing in one of your shots. I think you might mean me in this post, since it links to my blog, but you are going to kick yourself when you realize you called me Jen instead of Jess. Don't worry. I get that all the time.

I discovered PictoBrowser awhile ago (I think from you) and had fun trying it out the other day. Cool. Thanks for the tip about the notes.

8:29 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

I promise to call you Jess next time. I work with a Jen, she likes the chair, and I am senile. There. As for walking in my office, I try not to leave the chair and to stay in my office for as long as possible. The separation anxiety is too much. The bumpy ceramic thing is an American Pottery piece. Very Mid-Century, right? Well thanks for stopping by, Julie (I kid, I kid).

8:45 AM  
Blogger Jessica Jones said...

You're welcome, Bobby.

3:48 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Blam!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you still have one for sale? I have a 1965 Herman Miller Executive Desk (40"x 80") that one of these would look great as a companion. Please advise. Damion Michaels

10:17 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Hey Damion

I haven't had a chance to take photos of the chairs yet due to other pressing issues in my schedule. When I do, I will post them on this blog. Thanks for your interest. Your desk sounds outstanding.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Travis Thrasher said...

When I hit it big one day, I'm buying a chair just like this. But for now I'm in my broken leather arm chair that creaks and makes my butt ache after a long day!

4:54 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Don't jinx your writing career with a 3,000 chair. Consider me your accountability partner.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. i love this chair. i want this exact one for my office. any idea where i might find one? email me at timpyoungATyahoo.com if so. -tim

2:37 AM  
Blogger maureen hoffmann said...

are any of your eames chairs still available ? I'm a designer, sourcing from nyc .. thanks.

4:25 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Maureen. They are all available but I have been a slacker and haven't priced and listed them yet. If you are on a fast track let me know at studiosmith@yahoo.com. If not, I will contact all who have inquired when I am ready to sell. My desire is to sell them all to one party so I don't have to deal with shipping all seperately, but I'm realistic in assuming this may not be of your interest and the timing.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Le Corbusier Chaise Lounge said...

Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Thanks a lot!

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts