// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Monday, February 04, 2008

Jubilee Furniture: Help Spread The Word



Quiet, sleepy, Carol Stream Illinois (a suburb of Chicago) is home to an amazing vintage, mid-century modern, retro and gently used furniture market so secret, that, well, I finally decided to put my greed aside to help them get the word out. For months now on Saturday's only,
Jubilee Furniture Company has opened it's doors at 9 am – the exact time I show up. For months I've had practically unfettered access to all this incredible and ever changing furniture and collectibles. A smorgasbord of vintage and retro items that sell for at or below garage sale prices. I kid you not, I've found Vitra, Steelcase, Herman Miller, Weiland, Knoll, Kimball, d_SCAN, Haworth, AllSteel and a ton of older American and Danish lines there. I blogged about my Steelcase Warren Snodgrass 474419W Encore Series guest chairs that are in the Museum of Modern art a few weeks ago. Each Saturday a new selection awaits at Jubilee.

You see, during the week, Jubilee accepts furniture donations, as the whole concept is to assist individuals and families in need throughout the suburbs through this ministry called Community Outreach. All proceeds from the Jubilee Furniture mart go to this worthwhile cause.

So why do I ask you to help me get the word out when I could continue my cherry picking under the radar, so-to-speak?
Well, each week I've noticed they've not had adequate resources and people to get the word out as they would like. Consequently, the place does an "okay" business, while the vintage gems go largely unnoticed (except for by me of course). Since the market is a ministry, I feel a call to help them. Especially as you consider they are a bunch of spirited, friendly, energetic and hardworking folk, and I know that they would oh-so-appreciate your help in spreading the word.
I spent 45 minutes there recently and took all the photos you see at the beginning of this post with my Canon Rebel 300D.
The yellow, low flourescent lighting at Jubilee is practically non-existent, but this dark, dusty, huge warehouse is what I find so charming. It's not polished; it's not pretty—a distinctive that may in fact be it's charm. While it provides really affordable furniture to a community in need, it's also a diamond in the rough for collectors and dealers.


Let me know what you think about my photos, and if you have any questions just ask. I've volunteered there a couple Saturdays in the past and am tight with the two full time staff members, Dave and Susan. They're located on the corner of North Avenue (64) and Schmale in Carol Stream. Jubilee can be reached at 1-(630)-337-1467. Susan just told me that they are now opening on Fridays, too, from 3pm - 8pm. And always Saturday 9am – 4pm.

I appreciate your help spreading the word. Tell them BarryBlog sent ya'.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barry, this place looks FABULOUS and I am jealous because I live far away :) Thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I can convince you to shop for me...?

-your Sister

9:05 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

You of course have a personal shopper at your beckon call. Twist my arm (not). As you know I don't need an excuse to scavenger as such.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Barry, I'm calling dibs on the Vitra chair. That shot is stunning.

Also, I was looking at nyt.com the other day and came across the Sketch Pad feature in the Real Estate section. Basically, each feature challenges an architect (or firm) to provide a hypothetical redesign of an existing on-the-market property. Audio rationale given is as well. Thought you'd appreciate it.

10:12 PM  
Blogger susie said...

thanks for the offer to be a scout - if you aver have a nice old fashioned brass or iron bed come through, I'd love to know about it. My friends and I are definitely going to come back again.

cheers-
suge @ babycakes

11:06 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

suge - I'll let ya know if I see one for sure.

12:09 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

VV - I love their eBay stuff. The incognito thing is new news to me. Bizarre. I did know they were Christians because they claim that on their site, which is cool. Seems like a ton of the stuff they have, albeit cool, seems to carry significant dings, dents and overall damage...more so than others. Is that just me, or have you seen that too?

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooden furniture.

11:50 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Amiruls.

Okay, so this is a word association game? I see. Okay, my turn.

Pickled Turnip.

Your move.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good article to read....

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts