// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Paul Tilley. Creative Genius. Age 40.

Okay, so here's an eye opener. Paul Tilley was a Chicago rock star creative. I don't know him personally, but know of him. His work at DDB on Anheuser-Busch's recent Super Bowl ads beat the competition handily by all AdMeter specs. He has died at the age of 40.

So aside from praying that his family feels the peace that surpasses all understanding, this is also a time to convict myself, you, and anyone who will listen that the Type-A power that most solid creatives use to be successful must also be kept in check. Stress and a certain acceptable angst are both part of the process, but we must all take a long look at our priorities. Death being one end, time with the ones you love, doing the things that really matter in life, the other.


From the sound of the comments at the DDB memorial site, Paul was The Man. Not just another solid performer, but someone who encouraged. Inspired. And at times made people laugh. I wish I had met him. But
in many ways I feel I have. People who give of themselves, share with others and work harder than everyone else. I LOVE being a creative. A business professional. But while later in life than some, I'm working on becoming a dad, which I'm grateful to God I realize is way more important than a career.

I feel concerned that this post will in some way sound disparaging of Paul, and I say this: it isn't meant to. Instead, I post about this to thank Paul for the reminder to all of us who work too hard, take things too seriously, or both.
May Paul rest in peace, and may his family draw strength from, and draw close to the God of the Universe in this difficult time.

( via Creativity-Online )

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Paul and do feel for his family. That said, I think you are going to be an awesome dad!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Travis Thrasher said...

That's awful to hear about Paul and I'll pray for his family. Creatives, as you well know Barry, are driven by something else--some strange thing inside of them. And apart from God and this little, precious girl named Kylie who God gave us fifteen months ago, I might find myself in the same shoes. Nothing compares to the gift of life.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post Barry.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts