// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Monday, February 25, 2008

Scavenger Hunt Deal of the Year: Thwarted.

Unfortunate circumstance over the weekend. The Craigslist post read:

Date: 2008-02-22, 11:29AM CST

Very useful, over sized two piece filing cabinet (upper and lower stacking pieces). Heavy duty. Perfect for blueprints, posters, artwork, collections. Top unit is 46 1/2" wide; 35 1/2" deep and 16" high with five drawers.
Bottom unit is 46 1/2" wide; 35 1/2" deep and 21" high with three drawers. Van, pick up truck or SUV needed for pick up in Wheaton.

$30 OBO.
Okay, so my "Or Best Offer" was "I will pay you more than you're asking." I sent this email to her twice. These flat files go from anywhere from $550-$1,200 every day of the week. Her email response...
Sorry. I already sold.
Ugh! So close...

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

D'oh! Bummer for sure!

You know, I was thinking about you yesterday when the Antiques Road Show was on TV (I caught an episode while making dinner). A chair arrived on the scene and was worth a fortune, which surprised the owner (that's always the best part of the show). Pretty cool discovery!

Hmmm...I wonder: How do people feel about getting their treasure home again? once they discover it is worth $1000s, is it harder to pack in the pickup truck than when it was worth $10.00?

11:13 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Funny. I always wonder how much of that show is staged, because like you, I'm surprised when they seem so surprised too. Especially furniture because furniture value is rather easy to determine. with some patience and average determination, one can find value with a simple Google search or two. Or eBay search using the previous sales advanced search option. At least a ballpark. People always seem so artificially surprised. It's funny.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts