// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Thought Leader Rob Roy Kelly: On Collecting

I don’t know if collecting springs from some sublimated form of man’s primeval instincts to hunt, but it certainly can be just as intense. I am never happier than when hot on the trail. Whenever I find a good piece after years of looking, and especially if the dealer does not recognize it's true value and it is underpriced, I could easily throw back my head, raise my arms and bay at the moon. Success in the hunt is a most rewarding feeling.

The pleasures of collecting for me have always been more than acquisition of items. It has been the travel; meeting other collectors or dealers who often are interesting people and the thrill of finding something new or unexpected. I experience as much satisfaction discovering information as I do finding items for the collection. I have researched almost everything I collected and knowing how, when, and where appropriate, who made it to be extremely important. Equally satisfying is writing about the subject and attempting to communicate with others about what is most interesting for me.


I live with my collections using them for decoration in both my working and living space. I enjoy looking, comparing, studying and thinking or speculating about each item. The kitchenware collection has been most rewarding in this respect. The materials, ingenuity and craftsmanship are all worthy of respect.

There is often an innate sense for shape, form, color or use of materials demonstrated by the makers that induce true admiration for their sensibilities and workmanship.

For me, maturity of a collector is shown by placing the most prized items into inauspicious corners where knowledgeable visitors can discover the treasures for themselves.

Previous BarryBlog coverage of Rob Roy Kelly.

( via Rob Roy Kelly Obsessions )

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger WPZ - Sandy said...

Love this passage, and especially the imagery of baying at the moon over a successful kill. Aaahhwoooooooooo!

10:31 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

wp-z - First of all, I am so glad you're pooping up on my Flickr and here. You are cool. Second, isn't this a perfect explanation of why and what we do? Collecting is a hunt. And like fisherman who throw back the fish, we enjoy all that comes with the sport. As for the part about meeting interesting people in the process...thanks for stopping by and being willing to always add so much to a conversation.

5:25 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Ugh...I meant "popping up", not "pooping" up. My bad.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Stephen said...

You can poop up on my Flickr anytime.

I completely sympathize with Kelly’s obsession, especially the compulsion to research the origin of everything found.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts