// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Monday, May 26, 2008

Justin on the Road: Making Creative Matter


Designer Sobriety Intro from Rule29 on Vimeo.

UPDATE: You might say I accompanied friend and fellow designer Justin at Rule29 to this year's 2008 How Design Conference. Well, just sort of. Actually, he asked myself and dozen other colleagues to provide him some chatter about an issue near and dear to his heart – Designer Sobriety. How to balance life, joy and great design when things get crazy. I had my friend the novelist Travis Thrasher video tape me on a day where I was blasting a 103 degree temperature at the forefront of what turned out to be full blown bout of brochitus (sweet).

Anyhow, I have just seen how Justin used my blibidy-blab and hope my perspective on matters served him well in the context of his address to the How Conference attendees. For the record, I enjoyed Armin Vit's contribution the best.


If you have not heard of Rule29, I posted about them before. They are midwest design rock stars. My friend and former colleague Keri just started working there, and it's a bit slow round the office without her.


It's been fun to watch Justin and Rule29 grow and expand over the years, and for those of you fortunate enough to be at How to hear him speak, I am sure you can see why I am a fan.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved Keri's interview...too funny (still cracking up over her favorite animal).

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin did a stellar job at HOW, we got to see him put a crowd into a knee-slapping good time. You were hilarious in the videos, Barry!

6:49 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

hey Liz, Thanks as always for your friendship.

Mig - I enjoyed your twitter updates and excited to hear Justin did well and was well received. No surprise but a relief none-the-less. Can't wait to see what Justin edited in.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great comments! How was a blast and having KT around is great too! be sure to watch for even more madness on its way soon!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts