// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Friday, July 04, 2008

Matthew 6: Look at the birds of the air

Plenty's happening that makes me worry.

Our adoption process and desire to adopt an orphan from El Salvador has fallen to tiny bits. My wife and I find ourselves seeking God's wisdom, and of course peace. Not to mention patience. Something I've had four decades of trouble with. Information about our adoption agency has surfaced which makes me angry. Also sad. For the agency. For us. But mostly for orphans who are stuck somewhere in the process. Orphans I don't know, but that God does. Aside from the agency troubles which are too difficult to explain in a blog post, we also find ourselves out the time and much of the costs we have incurred to date. We've been on a long road towards being a family, and it's been wiped clean like a home torn apart in a violent tornado. So anger is not a desired emotion right now, as I continue to grow closer in my relationship with God, but is one I am fighting. And though it shouldn't surprise me, I continue to see God's hand in the details. Details are where I find Him. Every time. In people that God continually puts in my life. Encouragers. People with experience. And people who really trust God. Some familiar faces. Others complete strangers. Like Anna who spoke to my company Thursday. Amazing faith. Tangible work that God is doing in and through a single young person. So I am reminded to trust. And grow. And seek joy.

Two weeks ago yesterday, my friend and mentor Joel challenged me. He showed me God asking..."Do you trust Me yet?" And I see God's work in my friends. And he asks..."Do you trust Me yet?" And I hear Anna's story of faith firsthand (Click on her new video). And he asks..."Do you trust Me yet?" And I sit across the table last night across from my beautiful wife who loves me beyond reason. And he asks..."Do you trust Me yet?" And I see my sister's faith in Christ growing and blossoming. And he asks..."Do you trust Me yet?" And I see my brother John looking to God from a new perspective in wonder and amazement. And he asks..."Do you trust Me yet?" And He moved my wife and I to Wheaton Illinois to do His work. And he asks..."Do you trust Me yet?"

So I want to punch myself in the head, and say YES. Yes God, I do. It seems so obvious when I take time to think about all He has done for my wife and I.

But then someone neglects to use their turn signal. Or Sears rips me off somehow (again). Or it costs me 80 bucks to fill up my car. Or my pipes start to crumble and roof starts to leak.

But when I really think about it, or am reminded by the Holy Spirit, I run to Him. Even when I think I'm okay. I go. More today than yesterday. And that's no doubt a blessing.

We live in bizarre times. A lot is changing. But we are asked to not worry. I see the birds, and am reminded of their dependence on God. He asks us to do the same. I try every day to remember this, but forget a lot. Remind me if you see me sometime. I will try to do the same in return.

Happy 4th.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

My heart breaks for you Barry. I wish there were something I can do to help. My family will specifically pray for you this week and the coming weeks...yea, I think we will pray. I'm sorry brother.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Barry, I'm so sorry. HUGS to you and your wife -- I, too, will keep you in my prayers/thoughts.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today Matthew 11: 28-30 spoke to me, interesting that the message is so universal, and truly easy to hear.

28 Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."

I love you both, Barry.

Your Sister, Stacy

8:47 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Thanks Stacy. I also go to Phillipians 4:6

6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

9:52 PM  
Blogger stage3design said...

Barry,

For all that you have gone through, it would be easy to give up. For all that you have gone through, it would be easy to blame—yourself, each other, others. For all that you have gone through, it would be easy to hate—yourself, your agency, God. For all that you have gone through, it would be easy to turn away from God, to dismiss him, to not trust him.

But you do. You do trust him because you are honest with him. You tell him you are frustrated; you tell him you are angry; you tell him you don't understand. And that's OK. God wants your honesty. No matter how much you rail against him or people or the situation, God can handle it. He knows your heart, and he knows your love for him. Continue to be honest with him; he is here for you every second of every day. He can provide you with the patience and peace to get through this time. The great part about Philippians 4:6 is that is goes into 4:7 — "Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."

Peace will come, Barry. Peace will come.

8:43 AM  
Blogger jen said...

hey barry,

so sorry things have fallen through…but so glad to see you learning to trust. it's a hard, hard lesson, and I know I'm so far from really getting it myself. He does show Himself faithful and strong and true always, yet I falter and fall and fail more times than not. I thank Him often for His mercy.

I will pray as the Lord brings you & your wife to mind.

jen

9:50 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Dean and Jen - Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barry,

I was just sitting down to catch up on some of my fav blog reading when I read your latest. Brother I'm so bummed, and at the same time so encouraged by your desire for God's perspective. I know you and your amazing wife have wanted this step for so long and this just flat out stinks. God has something planned for you guys and I pray for that wisdom and future to reveal itself. Matthew 6 doesn't get much better for a description of God's care and love for you and Janel.

We will pray for you my friend, to feel God near you and some sort of direction out of all this.

Love you pal - Justin

8:54 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Thanks J.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Know that even during times of frustration and trial.
God is using you.
He is using you to advance His ministry in Costa Rica because of your diligent work.

10:44 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Thanks for the encouragement Matt. It's an honor to serve God through serving you.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts