// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Monday, December 15, 2008

Making an Eames DSR Molded Plastic Shell Arm Chair

Eames Molded Plastic Chairs – the "making of" video, featuring the legendary Eames DSR Fiberglass Chair. This chair has been reissued to the exact same specs as the original, but is now being made with a more environmentally safe product called polypropylene.

Without question, this post is yesterday's news. In fact, a large percentage of those on my Newfire syndicated feed list have already pointed to this video. Having said that, this friendly reminder: BarryBlog is about sharing, and yes, that includes with me. Being a HMI fan, I could not face not having this on my blog, if for nothing more than posterity. I did post this video in the past. It really is an amazing video and it provides an even greater appreciation for just how much effort goes into making one of these design beauties. Surprisingly, this is one of Herman Miller's lower cost classics. But as I have said before, any Herman Miller product you buy will likely last as long as you do, or longer.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger WPZ - Sandy said...

Hey Barry -- I saw this vid somewhere (as I see you have seen it MANY places) but the first person I thought of was you! So of course I'm not sharing anything new with you, but a good chance to say hello nonetheless! It definitely is a great video... I'm particularly drawn to watching the sewing/upholstery stages myself, or wait, the compass&frenchcurving&measuring is pretty amazing. I never thought about how they would have had to transfer the paper pattern into 3D in that time... by hand! Bit by bit!

8:38 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Hey woodley park-zoo! Long time since we last "chatted." Hope all's well on your end. Thanks for thinking about me and stopping by. I hve taken a bit of a hiatus of late from this blog and Flickr. Hope to get back to both soon. I have some wicked ETSY stock and hope to share soon. Keep in touch.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts