// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Friday, May 15, 2009

The Unborn Child (1973) Seals & Crofts

Perhaps I am the only one surprised by the fact that Seals & Crofts was concerned about the life of the unborn. I would have taken the now unfair guess they would be like so many on the side of abortion rights. The album Unborn Child (Art Direction – Ed Thrasher; Design – Lockart; Illustration – Margo Zafer Nahas) was no doubt a timely response to the January 1973 passing of Roe-vs-Wade.

I often stop at Goodwill on the way home from work for a chance to clear my head, and for an opportunity to experience that therapeutic "no one is expecting something creative of me this very moment" that is so infrequent of late. In so doing, I go through the LPs looking for covers designed by master designers like Colin Forbes, Milton Glaser, George Tscherny, George Salter, Paul Rand, Seymour Schwast, S. Neil Fujita, George Giusti, Paul Davis, Lawrence Ratzkin, Andrew P. Zutis, Charles Beck and others. Due to the frequency of my visits, I have struck up some casual friendships. As I was pouring through the LPs the other day, one such employee stopped with a welcomed smile and greeting, and we spoke briefly about his family, how his second job was fairing, etc. As the conversation grew to a close, I looked down and I believe with providence, the album "The Unborn Child" by Seals & Crofts was in both my hands. It took me by surprise, so I immediately turned it over and read the words to the song which I have posted below.


Sometimes I notice these providences and brushes with grace, but most of the time I find myself in despair and yearning as I and my wife are still without children after so many years. It strikes me as ironic how I am impassioned for children, and they with me at times, and yet we have none of our own. It amazes me even more than women would see an unborn child as an inconvenience and "choose" to kill this promise inside them, especially considering all my wife and I have been through emotionally, physically and financially in our 8 year desire to be parents.


All that said, I thank God today for giving me a glimpse into his greatness, as he sparks my desire to save the unborn, with what little I have in me to do so.


Unborn Child (1973) Seals & Crofts

Oh, little baby, you’ll never cry,
Nor will you hear a sweet lullaby.

Oh, unborn child, if you only knew
Just what your momma is plannin’ to do.
You’re still a clingin’ to the tree of life
But soon you’ll be cut off before you get ripe.

Oh, unborn child, beginning to grow,
Inside your momma, but you’ll never know
Oh, tiny bud that grows in the womb
Only to crushed before you can bloom.

Momma, stop! Turn around, go back, think it over,
Stop! Turn around, go back, think it over.
Stop! Turn around, go back, think it over.

Oh, no, momma, just let it be
You’ll never regret it, just wait and see
Think of all the great ones who gave everything
That we may have life here
So please bear the pain.

Momma, stop! Turn around, go back, think it over,
Stop! Turn around, go back, think it over.
Stop! Turn around, go back, think it over.
To truly appreciate the The Unborn Child album, buy it from iTunes. I did and will say it is full of courage, power and emotion.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. So sad...

ALSO, you and your wife continue to be on my mind, in my heart, and in my prayers. You two would be great parents (and I suspect ARE great parents to all the children you know)!

HUGS to you both!

=) Liz

11:23 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for playing this song for me today. It's really moving. You might be interested in this article I read today from the Gallup poll on the shifting public opinion regarding abortion.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Rule29 said...

Thank you for this post Barry. I hope to see you and your lovely wife soon.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Barry, Thank you for sharing your yearning experiences for a child. When I read of such sadness for couples who would be the greatest the parents in the world, and then learn of their sadness, it does make me wonder the sense of it all in God's great plan.

I was 18 when "Unborn child" came out, and I must tell you it was not a popular song, and Seals and Crofts's stance was not a popular one at the time. I think it took extraordinary courage for them to buck the popular culture and ask that we consider the implicataions of unprotected sex and the creation of a being who might not have a chance to join the living.

If I may suggest that you and your lovely wife do not do your spirits any more harm than you must endure right not with your inability to conceive a child by looking around with bitterness, anger, frustration and rage at those women and men who are choosing a different path than yours. It will wear out your spirit and god forbid you lose your understanding that we are all children of God no matter what our decisions, and ours is not to question the Lord's will, but rather bow our heads to it, listen, and understand what he is asking from us when it seems he is denying us the one true and holy thing that would complete us, in our own eyes. Because maybe in God's eyes you are complete and there is another way you will minister to children, as I bet you do everyday, anyway. I can see by the goodness in your post. PLease keep your spirit and heart turned toward God; he will reveal what he wants from your life, even if it is not the path you've chosen, you've been blessed, as he has chosen for you.

PS: I would be remiss if I did not present full disclosure: I am 54 years old, prochoice, and child-free-by-choice (no, not through abortion on demand).

9:03 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Anonymous -

1.
It means a lot to me that you would take time to comment. Thank you. I also appreciate the spirit with which you've done so. I have received your message, especially on the subject of bitterness and frustration, and will gain from your kind words. I also appreciate nudges and reminders to maintain a pure heart and to have compassion for others.

2.
I have heard of the context of this song, and agree that it takes courage to do what is unpopular, especially for such an important issue to Christ. He speaks in depth of this all through His word. Many of God's teachings are considered intolerant in our society to those who consider their desires ahead of Christ's teaching.

3.
On the subject of women choosing another path or making decisions (to have abortions), I do sense, grasp and accept God's sovereignty in this all, and pledge to do what I can, as I am led to save the unborn. The world would have us believe this is a matter of personal choice, however the matter of taking a life is of equal consiquence regardless if the person is inside or outside the womb. God's truths are intolerant to many. But they are God's truth, and throughout His teachings he implores us to cherish and protect life. So I will be a defender of life.

7:40 AM  
Blogger VoteAudrey said...

I had not heard of this - thanks for sharing :)

6:59 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

You're welcome MissAudrey. Thanks for taking time to say so.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts