// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Haeger Pottery Day Trip

Haeger Pottery is in East Dundee Illinois, not too far from my residence. Until today, I had never made the trip to see it in person. I must say, it was thrilling to see where so many of my great pieces were made, and to learn more about the designers and ceramic engineers in their modest but interesting museum. I was one of only three people there, and the generous staff gave me full access and permission to shoot and share photos. Unfortunately I did not bring my real camera, so I used my iPhone camera for this post.

Enjoy the Haeger Pottery factory from my point of view.

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

And a lousy quality video I took using my old 3G iPhone, with the help of iVideoCamera.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Priya -- a little bit of Moxie -- said...

I really like the carl sandburg bust and the plate behind the haeger vessel pic (last pic) Great find Barry!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics. Looks a lot more interesting than when I was there as a kid in the 70s.
Steve B.

8:50 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Priya - That's a wall plaque by designer Eric Olson. You have great taste.

Steve - Would be great to help them beef up that museum. It is interesting and I enjoyed it greatly, but there are far more interesting pieces than most of what they have curated.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Wait... you were in East Dundee and didn't stop to see me?! I live literally 2 minutes from Haeger!

9:11 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Bummer! Never knew that. I will let you know when I'm in town next!!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Please do. I won't get back to "the house" til March sometime.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Scott Lindberg said...

Those busts are amazing! What scale are they, Barry? They look gigantic ...

8:13 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Scott, They are huge at nearly 3 feet tall from neck to top of the head.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Scott Lindberg said...

Monumental!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts