// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

His Eye Is On The Sparrow - Bound For Glory

Over the last several months I've had the privilege of working with my brother in Christ, Timothy R. Botts, along with the talented Patricia Raybon and my in-house colleague and client Becky Brandvick, on a printed case side hardcover book called Bound For Glory. This book focuses on the rich history and tradition of African American spirituals. It is told through original artwork on the subject by Botts, and writings that make equally powerful connections to today by both Botts and Raybon.

I'm about to wrap this book up, having designed it from front to back cover. I've found working on it to be surprisingly comforting, and an encouragement to me during a very difficult time in my life. The spiritual that has had the biggest impact on me to date is His Eye is on the Sparrow. The words are profound, and I cling desperately to their Truths. I thought I would share the lyrics, and three very different renditions, in the hopes this will also encourage you. Also, I shared what my cover design will look like. More on Bound For Glory here.

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
* Refrain:
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
2. “Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
3. Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.







Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts