// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Psalmist's Fears and Depression

I remember the days of old.
I ponder all your great works.
I think about what you have done.

I reach out for you.

I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain.

Come quickly, LORD, and answer me,
for my depression deepens.

Don't turn away from me, or I will die.
Let me hear of your unfailing love to me
in the morning, for I am trusting you.

Show me where to walk,
for I have come to you in prayer.

P S A L M  1 4 3  :  5 - 8  ( N L T )

The Psalm writers expressed themselves honestly to God, every feeling—from elation to despair. While fighting fear and depression, this writer turned to God in desperation. Remembering the Lord's mighty works of the past, he prayed for a miracle in the present.

Believers experience the whole range of emotions, the ups and the downs. The emotions are neither wrong or sinful, they just are. But the response is critical. We can allow our emotions to pull us away from God, or push us towards him. In this case, the writer's depression moved him in God's direction. First he acknowledged his need and his total dependence on God; then he asked for God's guidance.

Don't allow fear and depression to drive you from the Lord. Instead, tell him how you feel and ask for his help.

(via Beside Still Waters, by David R. Veerman, 1996, ISBN 0-8423-0119-4)



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts