// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Trajan in the Movies. Enough Already.



Since I'm perhaps the last blog to post on the overuse of the font Trajan in the motion picture industry, I thought I would throw in some trivia to have something somewhat original in this post. As for the font Trajan, it was created by Carol Twombly in 1989 for Adobe as part of their Adobe originals collection.. She based it on the inscribed characters from the Trajan column in Rome (AD 113). As you see from this movie, it's way overused.

More on Trajan from Stacy's thesis continuation in romanboldoblique:

The base of Trajan's column featured classic Roman letterforms. It is believed that these letters were first painted, then carved into the stone. This gave them a nice free formed feel and sharper serifs. The letters are called capitalis monumentalis or Roman square capitals.

History lesson complete. Enjoy the movie. You're welcome.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great video (funny)!

Also, Happy New Year to you and your family! Can't wait to see it grow this year!!!

=)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Jessica Jones said...

I haven't seen ANY blog posts about Trajan in the movies, so that was new to me. Shoot, now I'm going to pay more attention at the video store.

Barry, thank you for the Christmas/New Year greetings. I hope your holidays have been happy and that 2008 will be full of joy for you and your wife. Num. 6:24-26.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts