// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Saturday, February 16, 2008

BarryBlog: People Notice. What Do They See?

When I began BarryBlog at the end of 2006, I never considered who, how many, or from where readers might come. Just like that first post about boxing, this blog remains a tool for me to record items of passion and personal interest, with the idea these items may also interest others. Nothing too complicated, and something I maintain without high expectation or reward.

An unexpected and surprising by product of the blog consists of new friendships and connections, new insights, and the occasional spike in interest by way of increased visits. Occasionally I am surprised too by an encouraging comment, which is always special and something I'm always grateful for. Especially as you consider how busy people are now a days, and how valuable time is.

But one thing which still blows me away is how far people come to visit my blog. And as I consider this, I begin to thinking seriously about the opportunity this represents. How do people view my blog? What is the takeaway? As a believer, I want to be a light. Are my words and actions glorifying to God? Do my interests and talents and what I share reflect one who lives to serve the Most Holy God? Am I too interested in things? In stuff? Do I reflect through my writing and sharing the things that are important to me deep inside? Does my outside add up? Or does the blog highlight some of my failures as a believer? As a person? Am I missing opportunities? Might what I've discussed or the perceptions people have fall short of where they should? Or could?

Well suffice it to say, these things are all important and weigh heavily on my mind. And in reality, this is not just related to my writing and sharing on BarryBlog. But my everyday interactions, and actions as a whole. They all matter to me. And to God. So as I share with you the list of all of the countries where people have come from to read BarryBlog, pray for me. My successes and failures are by no means critical to the overall work of the Kingdom, but I want like nothing else to be a light. Perhaps my transparency might be one way. Through what I do right. And what I do wrong.

So take a look at this list. A list of the different places where what I've written and shared has been read. BarryBlog readers have come from:

Albania, Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Palestinian Territory, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia and Montenegro, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam.
My prayer as I ponder this list is that I'm given wisdom, and draw close to Christ as I continue to share the talents, interests and insights He lays on my heart. And with God's grace, in ways that glorify Him. Because as you can see from the list above, people do notice.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

Barry,

talk about the "ends of the earth"! Thanks for a thoughtful post…and for your stand for the Lord Jesus. It's always encouraging to find brothers & sisters out there who are using their talents for Him. Keep up the good information resources and the praise of the Creator!

jen

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been going over your words since yesterday morning, thinking about them. You have a way of asking questions that cause a bit of introspection for this reader, too. I wanted to ponder this for myself as well as take the time time to think about your question as it applies to you.

This is my 2 cents: What you share DOES reflect and serve God. You are accessible by way of your interests/posts -- wonderfully so, I think. I love coming here to learn more about you. As a result, I have seen your inner light; have seen God's works through you. You've been given so many gifts and you share them all: Creativity, faith, joy (in things and people), hope, knowledge, encouragement, etc. Still, I imagine it's hard to remember that each of them are important and to wonder (as you are) if you are falling short in some way. But, my friend, you are such a beacon for me.

Since I've known you, I've become a lot less guarded/shy about discussing my own faith. This is such an important gift you've given me -- not to mention every insight and all of the perfect timing! Further, I think if you had fewer gifts to balance, I might have been a bit more timid...your mixture of "talents, interests, and insights" is just right. Your heart is so open, too. It is refreshing and a powerful thing to see such a collection and balance!

So, for what it's worth, I wouldn't change a thing. I think you do glorify Him with a strength and humility that is inspiring. So thanks, Barry, for being you and for praising Him like you do!

(Whew...didn't mean to be so long here...but, it's important.)

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts