// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Friday, March 21, 2008

A Good Friday: Not Because of What I've Done.



I hope this post finds you well on Good Friday, or whenever it is you're reading this.

Spending more time at the newly discovered Ron's Reflections blog has taught me about quenching the Spirit and about the ministry of Casting Crowns. What a cool video testimony from the band. It's refreshing to see how they see themselves first as ministry, then secondly as a band. Ron's blog has also helped me learn more about myself. And more confirmation that it's Christ's work, not my own; that not because of what I've done, but because of who He is.

Some of the Casting Crown's lyrics from the YouTube video above:

Who am I that the Lord of all the earth… would care to know my name? Would care to feel my hurt?” “Who am I that the one who calmed the seas… would call out through the rain and calm the storm in me?” “Not because of what I’ve done… but because of who you are… Not because of who I am… but because of what you’ve done…”

Chorus:
“I am a flower quickly fading, Here today and gone tomorrow. A wave tossed in the ocean, A vapor in the wind. Still you hear me when I’m calling, Lord you catch me when I’m falling, And you told me who I am. I am yours. I am yours.
( Thank you Ron )

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that chorus is moving...brought tears to my eyes! (I'm such a cry-baby.)

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Casting Crown's music. Have you heard "Voice of Truth"? The lyrics are way cool and extremely powerful. Here they are:

"Voice Of Truth"

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. 'Boy, you'll never win!'
"You'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant
With just a Sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out my name and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
Time and time again "boy, you'll never win!
"You'll never win"

But the stone was just the right size
To put the giant on the ground
And the waves they don't seem so high
From on top of them looking down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
Singing over me

I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

6:11 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Awesome share. Thanks. I am actually just getting to hear them pretty much for the first time. Those lyrics are perfect. For me, considering our adoption, for which we completed our home study as of this morning, these lyrics really strike a chord...


To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand.

Thanks Susan.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - home study complete, huh. How exciting!

The chorus - "But the voice of truth tells me a different story..." is what I love about this song. I often find myself listening to every other voice than the voice of truth. How differently I live my life when I'm able to take every message I hear from: others, my husband, our culture, commericals, my mother-in-law :-), and overlay God's truth and take what's congruent and discard what isn't. I am beloved. I am forgiven. I am filled with the power of the Holy Spirit. I am called to be Christ to others. I am a work in progress. I am becoming a woman of grace (one of my favorites!). I have a hope and a future. Bye bye insecurities. Good bye petty disagreements! I don't pull it off all the time, but when I do... :-)

4:52 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

No doubt. The whole notion of dying to oneself and the idea of the first will be last is so countercultural and also so in the face of what the world will have us believe. Plus, I find the devil is at his best in the subtlties. The times he nudges you and say give yourself some grace. Your attitude, your pride, your thoughts, they're not that bad. And probably they are not in the monet, but collectively they can become your fabric and focus, instead of on God, on others, and less on yourself.

But like you've shared, the voice of Truth tells a different story.

Thanks for pointing all this out.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts