// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Knoll International: Charles Pollack Chairs (2)



The same day I came across all 8 of these Herman Miller Time Life Chairs, I also found two of these Knoll International Executive Arm Chairs designed by Charles Pollock. One might assume I am made of money, but au contraire. Although the Knoll price list (3.3 mb PDF) shows these retailing new between $2,000-2,900.

During the last month or so I have been using one of these in my home office, and you know what? The Knoll Pollack chair is really comfortable. Time permitting, I may attempt the extra research on designer Charles Pollack as I have Warren Snodgrass in the past, to find out what went into the thinking and the design of this wonderful chair. I already discovered Pollack worked with George Nelson's office and went to Pratt. If I find out more, I'll share that here.

Worth note is the very 70's Retro upholstery. It has really grown on me when you consider my penchant for a late 50's, mostly 60's interior, decorative art and furniture look. I am sure the current 70's collectors will enjoy the look.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hi, i use one of these chairs at work and have been trying to figure out if their height is at all adjustable? its a little bit too low for my desk but i love it and don't want to give it up for the other crappy newer chairs at my office. its starting to aggravate my carpo tunnel so i really want to be able to adjust it.

11:43 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

anais - I'll check mine tonight. Not sure, but like Herman Miller chairs, I think the bases are sold in both fixed height and adjustable. I'll check mine and let you know how to adjust if mine isn't fixed.

These are SUPER comfortable as you've suggested.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts