// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday at NEOCON: Kid In A Candy Shop

Most graphic designers I know attend design seminars and conferences all over the world on a fairly consistent basis. I have not been for over 7 years. What I can recall about going is the sense of community it builds. And the energy and ideas and possibilities it fosters. But they're expensive and take time away from work. So for any number of reasons at this point in my career I have not been able to attend any of these. With one exception. NEOCON. As I have stated in a previous post, NEOCON is the SuperBowl to me. It's also free, and in my backyard, so it's very doable. I absolutely love furniture design. Contract and residential, and for that, nothing beats NEOCON. So I'm at NEOCON today. A kid in the candy shop.

Here's my previous post about NEOCON, and a slight rant about one of my favorite all time graphic designers, Alvin Lustig.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FUN! Be careful, though. These kinds of things can be expensive in other ways (heh-heh). It's like when Jackie and I enter B&N!

11:13 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

No doubt Liz, but my purchases are governed by a strict $3.99 maximum. Goodwill stores perhaps, but no Neocon spending!

Who buys $4,000 chairs, anyway?

I will say, NEOCON was AMAZING this year. If the big three car makers could bring even a fraction of the creativity I saw from contract furniture's big three (HM, Steelcase and HW), then I wouldn't be driving an Audi.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo...$3.99 maximum. That would be a good idea.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts