// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Monday, July 21, 2008

1991: Oglivy at 80

"I am supposed to be the No. 1 creative genius in the whole world, and I don't even know what the hell the word 'creativity' means. But I'm not afraid to tell creative phonies that their commercials are utter nonsense. When I write an ad, I don't want you to tell me that you find it 'creative.' I want you to find it so persuasive that you buy the product -- or buy it more often. If you spend your advertising budget entertaining the consumer, you're a bloody fool, housewives don't buy a new detergent because the manufacturer told a joke on television last night. They buy the new detergent because it promises a benefit."

– Then, eighty year old David Ogilvy in his closing remarks at the 82nd annual meeting of the Association of National Advertisers, October 1991.


( Thanks BrandingStrategyInsider )

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think his words are true for today?

Something that struck me was that part of the promise today seems to include some aspect of entertainment. Another, is that there seems to be a need for more than a promise -- a need for actual delivery of something (especially, within the trend of community as persuasive driving power).

Since I don't know what I'm talking about and am making uninformed observations that have created a deep curiousity about this for me, I thought I'd ask. Plus, I know that you'll have a great answer!

=) Thanks Barry!

11:57 AM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

I'm with Oglivy to the degree that advertising, while a communication at heart, is not effective or worthwhile without making people act. If the communication gets attention and is memorable, but hasn't had the power to get anyone to act, it is in fact nonsense. "Notice" is world's apart from "act." Entertainment is great, but manufacturers are only entertaining if they are not getting people to buy. And I do mean buy. But "buy" can also mean believe, inspire, etc. Sometimes the end product is a position and not a product. But that's another post for another time.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you'd have a great answer!

=) Thanks again!

1:53 PM  
Blogger jen said...

not on the topic of this post, but I have a question about some Herman Miller shell chairs I have…it seems like you may be a good resource for all things mid-century modern, and I'm finding such a huge range of info on the 'net. I'm trying to decide if I want to sell them or not…I have 4 fiberglass arm chairs. Anyway, if you have a minute for an email conversation on this, drop me a line. If not, I understand. And I'm looking forward to another post soon…

5:18 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Hi Jen. I am happy to help, and sorry for not posting lately. I will follow up with you via your email with more info.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts