// BarryBlog //

A creative dumping ground for issues that interest me personally and professionally, with the thought they may interest you too. Issues such as the business of design, the design of business, the design of objects, design strategy, creative direction, innovation, creativity, thought leadership, observations, as well as recommendations, mid-century modern decorative arts and architecture, and the state of my thinking (and currently the state of my heart).

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

West Chicagoland Thrift / Resale Driving Map

Thrift stores and resale shops are plentiful in the West Chicagoland area. Those who follow BarryBlog know of my thrift scores. And it's almost every day I'm asked where to find these stores. So, below is a list of some of my favorites, with comments about the experience each store offers from my perspective. I will add more stops as I learn of them. If you know of other stores in this general vicinity, leave a comment on this post with the name and address and I'll be happy to add it here. Just bookmark this page, and/or subscribe to the map via RSS and you'll be notified in your reader if anything's added. It's my hope that you'll enjoy and get good use out of this map. I highly recommend that you go to a larger view of the map from Google's page by clicking this link, or the link right below the map which says "view larger map."

If you appreciate this map, and you're feeling charitable, feel free to
leave me a tip.

UPDATE: Scott from the awesome journal ars longa has also shared stops for Decatur, Springfield, and Indianapolis IN to the comments section below this post.

Update to my update: I forgot to mention my friends at Jubilee Furniture (Hi Dave and Susan!).


View Larger Map

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is awesome, Barry. Thanks! I've made similar maps for Springfield and Decatur, IL, as well as Indianapolis, IN. Share and share alike!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Kristin Schulte said...

Barry is my Thrifty Hero!!!

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barry! I left you a message last week, but it appears to have disappear into some blog black hole, so I'm writing again.

Thank you for the mention in your list of thrift stores. It is greatly appreciated!

We'll open this Friday with two weeks of pickups since we weren't open 12/26 and 12/27 - so we'll have lots of fun new stuff! What fun!

I hope you and Janel are doing well.

Happy New Year!

Take care -

Susan :-)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

Love it, Barry! There are a number of stores I've never heard of. What's your review of the monthly Kane County Flea Market?

3:53 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Erik - Kane County is really a great place to spend a Saturday, but since I'm kinda all over this stuff, and since I find unusually thrifty values at resale and thrift, Kane county tends to be a higher price option. I do recommend it though, especially for the hunting, rather than the buying. It's always been well attended and cool stuff an be found there, but for more typical process, which by typical I mean fair, but MORE than I can find elsewhere.

4:31 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

Thanks Scott and Matt. Scott, you'll see your other thrifts have been added to this post. Thanks for adding! Matt, we should head out one Saturday together and see what thrift treasure might be had, plus some coffee on me!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope to one day have the opportunity to visit Chicago and spend days meandering through these treasure troves!

10:50 PM  
Blogger studiosmith said...

You wouldn't be disapointed Grace. I did try out a couple City thrifts last weekend and found them to be at or above high end antique shops cost wise. These suburb shops are really great.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts